Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Skin I Live In ****

Skill, obsession, tragedy, family secrets, and revenge are the themes of Pedro Almodovar's "The Skin I Live In," the story of a brilliant plastic surgeon (Antonio Banderas) who performs his own forbidden experiments and creates his own monster while exacting his own particularly ruthless payback. As usual with Almodovar, the composition of each frame is arresting, expressive, and fitting; the performances flawless; and the screenplay an interlocking puzzle of elements that slowly gives up its secrets. More mystery/thriller than a horror movie, as I've seen it labeled, there are elements that borrow from horror, as the obsession of Dr. Ledgard and his quest to create an indestructible skin mix with baser motives with tragic results. More detail would, I fear, decrease the pleasure of experiencing this film, so I'll leave it at that. In Spanish with English subtitles.

No comments: